Monday, June 16, 2008

Belgium!

Lille has been awesome so far! The classes last longer than I would like but at least we don't really have homework.

The other day I went on a field trip to Bruges! This was awesome. This city dates back to before Jesus' time and it was definitely rich in history. My favorite part about it was the canals that ran through the city! I got to go on a boat ride through these canals and it was awesome! Unfortunately it rained some but the beginning of the boat ride was nice and after it was over, most of the rain had passed. During the boat ride I saw a lot of beautiful architecture as the houses come right out onto the water. Also, the natural scenery was stunning. I talked a little to the boat guide in English as we were told ahead of time that this part of Belgium was not to fond of the French due to historic occupation that forced them to speak French. However, the boat guide said it wasn't the French he minded, being Flemish, but those damn Welsh! Who knew?

After the boat ride I signed up for a walking tour with a guide named Martin...he is British, had a lot of knowledge concerning history, and quite anti-American. When I told him I was from North Carolina, he pointed up his nose and said, "I'm sorry." Earlier he made comments about how where he lived was only minutes or hours away from beautiful, timely cities or monuments but what did America have? Only the Grand Canyon! Well excuuussseee me! Anyway, he took me and a few others on a walking tour of Bruges and it was beautiful! I saw a vile of Christ's Blood in their church...or at least it is believed to be, I don't really remember the story well, but it has something to do with an exchange through King's and it ended up in Bruges. The vile itself was pretty, bejeweled and such, but the blood was nasty! I mean I know its very, very old, but it looked like dried up sausage...not what I was expecting. I also saw Michelangelo's Madonna and Baby sculpture...the original! It was beautiful! It's one of the few works of Michaelangelo that is outside of Italy. We also passed by a famous school where they only accept 300 students or so and it is very prestigious. This is the type of school you would go to if you were interested in working in Politics or having some high position in society. You have to speak two languages at least, I believe French and English, and it is very tough.

Belgium was definitely beautiful and I can't wait until we visit Brussels so I can see more of the country!

No comments: