Tuesday, July 8, 2008

France m'manque!

Since Germany, a lot has happened. I finally finished my term paper, I took my last classes, and I prepared for my next and last weekend trip to Paris to meet up with Tim. I had been waiting for this weekend the whole trip, and it was not a disappointment!

When I got to Paris, I was expecting Tim to already be at the hotel as his flight was supposed to land around 11:30 and I wasn't taking a train until 1:00 due to class. I was so excited when I finally made it to Hotel De Blois but when I asked the concierge if I was the first one of the party to check in, he said I was. This made me really nervous and I was convinced that Tim was lost somewhere in Paris, unable to speak a word of French, and there was no way to contact me. I went up to our room and impatiently checked the window every couple of seconds to see him walking down the street. About five minutes and probably 100 window checks later, I saw him walking down the street looking kinda lost. I ran downstairs to meet him with no shoes on looking crazy. I saw him standing outside the door looking at a map and so I tried to open the door to let him in...you would think that would be easily done. I kept pushing the door but it wouldn't open...turns out that doors go both ways, who knew? So the first time my boyfriend sees me in five weeks, I look like a crazed lunatic with no shoes on, frantically pushing on the door that won't open....typical. After I realized that I could pull the door open, I was able to let Tim in and drag him upstairs as everyone in the lobby stared at the American Psycho.

After that embarrassing charade, I took Tim on his first tour of Paris (I found out that his flight had actually been delayed and that is why he was late). We didn't go in anywhere famous the first night, however, because Tim was pretty jetlagged and so we called it an early night and prepared for the next day. On Saturday we got to go down in the Catacombs. This is an underground city that has streets and wells underground which was really cool. It also had a ton of bones stacked down all of these corridors where they stored their dead during the 18th century...it was really creepy but cool to see. Then we went to the Arc De Trimophe and went to the top. I had never done this before and it was beautiful! Of course it's not as high at the Eiffel Tower but you still got a wonderful view of the city.

That night we hit the Eiffel Tower and it turns out that you can't go all the way to the top after 10:00 :-( But we still got to go the second level which was amazing! I saw some guy propose to his girlfriend, it was so sweet and romantic

We left Paris the next day to go to Lille even though neither of us wanted to leave. However Lille was a blast as well. I had to take exams and stuff but when I wasn't in class Tim and I had a wonderful time, I think he really enjoyed the city. We went to the zoo and I saw these animals called mouse deer which were pretty cool, rhinos, zebra, a peacock which just walked out of its cage around the park, a lot of birds, monkeys, and a bunch of others from all over the world. The best part was that the zoo was free! We also went running a couple times around the citadel which was beautiful. Of course I also took him out to a couple of bars which was fun. We danced at this place called Palace Cafe a few times and drank at L'Irlandres (Irish Pub). We also went to some good restaurants.

Well, that week came to a close and we had to return back to the states :-(. I did not want to leave, but we caught the 6:45 am train to Paris. Of course getting through the airport was no easy task as the French are always on strike...and the people who were protesting happen to be the employees who work the security lines in the airport. Needless to say we were stuck in that line awhile. Also, someone left their bag unattended in our terminal which resulted in no one being allowed to enter it. We finally made it through everything and I saw Tim off around 10:30 and then I got to wait another four hours until my flight took off. Ahh the joys of traveling.

Overall, France was a wonderful experience and I'm so glad I was able to be fortunate enough to have experienced it. This wouldn't have happened without my parents who have always given me everything I needed from both finanical to emotional support in order to achieve my dreams. I know they are both reading this, and I want to say thank you for everything.

This was my first blog and I really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone who read it and made comments, I really appreciate your support and I hope you enjoyed my stories!

1 comment:

Papa Matthew said...

Thank you for posting. I now know what my little bro did while he was in France. I asked him and he said he had "fun" and did the "tourist thing," but not much else. ;) Now I suppose I'm getting him in trouble, but that's what big bros do best. Right?